Thursday, August 27, 2009

The One on the Last Day of Work!

Today is my last day of work (at least until Winter Break). I am elated. Completely elated. I have nothing to do, the last 30 pages of a Jacqueline Carey novel to read, and in 48 hours I will already be half way to school. Michelle called me last night in a state of panic because she hasn't packed at all. I promised her that once we got to school, we would unpack, take showers, and then nap. The promise of a nap is the key to calming down Michelle. I've kind of packed somethings. I have a box of glassware, a box of art supplies, my sorority treasurer box, and a bunch of books I want to sell. I really don't need the Norton's Edition of Middlemarch, or three different editions of The Inferno. I have a couple tubs'o'stuff i "need" to survive at school. Like sidewalk chalk. And anti-itch cream. But the clothes, shoes, obscene amount of Vera Bradley totes, make-up and jewelry, and bedding (I keep forgetting about bedding!) all remain to be packed... tomorrow. Side note: co-workers told me my hair looks nice this morning. Its because I woke-up early and showered instead of sleeping on it wet. I didn't brush it, though, so I think this is why they said it looks nice and layered. Today I have some of my personally crafted jewelry. Other than the first piece, I consider most of my jewelry to be "t-shirt jewelry." Its pretty casual, mostly on natural cord. This necklace was made with supplies from etsy seller BellaBohemian. My mom thinks the razor blade is pretty morbid. I like it because one of my closest friends struggled with self-harm, and to me its a touchstone for how much self-harm damages not just the physical, but also emotional and psychological self. Check out To Write Love on Her Arms for more impassioned speak about self-harm.

This is my Buddha necklace. I really wanted to make something with feathers. The cinnabar Buddha bead is from etsy seller Charming Cute Couture. The other beads are from Michael's, as are the feathers and cord. This is a long necklace. I put a clasp on it mostly because I was so excited that I had learned how to put on a clasp, but it doesn't need one.

The beads from this necklace came from a super overpriced bead shop at a beach town. Seriously, I think they charged me a dollar or something ludicrous for the green bead. Its some semi-precious stone which wasn't even drilled well! It took me forever to get the head pin in there. The heart is wooden and charming. Cord from Michael's.

I'm Wearing Clothes Again!

I just want to note, these outfits are collected from about a week ago, so I didn't wear those Miley leggings 8 days in a row.

Sometimes I just try to make my mom laugh while she's taking the pictures, and then I start laughing, and then I look like this. This is when I gave up looking nice at work and instead opted for ultimate comfort. This sweater is, in all honesty, the bomb. Its a men's cardigan from AmEagle. Its thick, woolly and over sized (perfect for the summer!). I think my friend bought her boyfriend the same sweater. I wish it had pockets, but you can't have everything. Dress, Old Navy (one of several cotton baby doll dresses from ON that I wear all the time). JCP White Cami. Miley Certified Leggins. Flip Flops, also AmEagle.

My mom wanted to take a picture sans sweater. I acquiesced, and cheesed hardcore. Okay, I wore this to The Last Supper with Melissa (it was more of a last lunch at Chipotle, but bear with me). We swapped early birthday presents (Mel turns 21 this year! In Ireland, lucky bia). Mel made me a painting! Its beautiful! I got her some vintage childrens books, cause she's a children's librarian in the making. Plaid shirt, Goodwill. Miley Certified leggins (I don't take them off). Belt, Pac Sun. Razor Blade necklace, invisible but made by me. Amazing Shoes which I don't regret buying, Connie via Famous Footwear.

I'm a big supporter of Leggins as Pants, as long as you make a semblance of effort to cover your butt/avoid camel-toe. But really, at home I wear leggings and sorority sweatshirts all the time. With mukluks. And my parents wonder about my fashion sense! Oh my god! I own jeans!!! I told you! These are the new straight leg jeans from AmEagle. Lovelylovelylovely. The sweater is from Kimchi Blue via Urban Outfitters. Its made out of a sweatshirt material, and it has batwings, so all in all really comfy. Still wearing my Awesome Oxfords. And check out that sweet ponytail action. My hair is looking smooooth. Those Oxford shoes! With tights! Don't my legs just go on for miles? Haha. Purple top, corduroy skirt, and tights are from Old Navy. Shoes from Famous Footwear. Cardigan from JCP. Seed Pearl Necklace is from an ABC Store in Oahu. Apparently in some places ABC Stores are liquor stores(?) but in Oahu they are magical convenience stores, almost like a mini-walmart crossed with a souvenir shop with a deli in the back. I got this necklace for some ridiculous cheap price, and always assumed the pearls were fake. I just did the tooth test, and it appears they are real! To test a pearl for validity, just lightly scrape your tooth over it. It should feel gritty or grainy. A costume pearl will most likely feel smooth. (This is legit, I just googled it to make sure it wasn't some crazy idea my grandmother cooked up).

This is me wearing the cardigan. Its a trapeze cardi with only one button. I was shopping in a bad mood with my mom, and I didn't really like it but she bought it anyway because she thought I was being stubborn and not admitting it was cute because she thought it was cute. Now I eat my moody high school attitude every time I wear it, because it is cute.

I just remembered that my Payless boots should ideally come to the store today or tomorrow... if not my mom has to ship them to me. At least I won't need them right away, cause it should be pretty warm/borderline hot at school until October. Oh man, I can't wait to get to school. I really do consider it home. I love arranging the furniture in the room, unpacking everything, making the bed for the first and last time, hanging posters. I'm just giddy with excitement. I probably won't be posting until next week when everything is settled. Till then!

3 comments:

  1. hello again, I'm sad to hear that there might not be a post in like a week! whatever shall i read?! But I have started 21 balloons and it rocks so far! Also I was wondering if i could buy the Inferno off of you? I've always wanted to read that book. I shall miss you while I am away but Christmas break reunion will be epic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the way you layer. You are so good at it! And I love the razor blade necklace.

    ReplyDelete