Friday, August 21, 2009

The One About Gratuitous Shoe Buys

Yesterday's big excitement involved me getting rear ended at a yield sign 500 feet from my house. I'm fine, the car is relatively fine, but I did wind up with a searing tension headache, and I fell asleep before the new season of Project Runway started. Better, Cheerful-er News: I finished my jewelry wardrobe over the weekend, and I found fake fur fabric to use for my Max costume (yes, I plan my halloween costumes months in advance). Check out my swanky ring bump drawer: Wooden ring is from a surf shop, mysterious faux (?) engagement ring was a gift from my unmarried aunt, I like to imagine it has some terrible romantic story she will never tell us behind it, zebra ring from Charlotte Russe. Pearl Monstrosity ring is also a gift from said aunt, by Honora. Check out my high school ring (yeah, it has color guard flags engraved in one side, so?). Faux diamonds for sure ring, aunt (she likes QVC ALOT). My signet ring (its engraved with my monogram) from grandparents (they got my mom one for HER high school grad. awwww). Claddagh, vintage and thrifted. Antique pearl ring, gift from aunt. I wear the front three most days. This is inside the door. All my necklaces hang from the carousel, and earrings chill in the little boxes at the bottom. I keep my bracelets/ super long necklaces in the drawers. This is the finished back. The quote is by the Persian philosopher Hafiz. I plan on theming my future wedding to Awesome Guy Out There! around this theme. Finished flower side. You can get a better idea of the purple tree from these pictures. Do yuo see all those books stacked around my wardrobe? My room is seriously like the Grey Gardens house. Those ladies had serious style, though. I'm both ashamed and unapologetic about how bad the mess is. I'm packing it all up this weekend for school! Hey look! I'm wearing clothes! Blue plaid shirt, Goodwill. Cami, JCP. Shorts, GAP via kjersten. Shoes, Charlotte Russe. Belt, Pac Sun. Freshwater pearls, Hawaii (where even at the mall, if you pay cash, they will sell it cheaper). My theory about this outfit is that this oversized men's shirt, when belted, creates the batwing sleeve effect, instead of just appearing like I'm wearing a man's shirt. I love this shirt, I sleep in it sometimes. Sometimes I wear it AFTER having slept in it. You would too. I have a serious conundrum on my hands. I'm going back to school, and even though I worked full time all summer, most of that money is going towards paying for tuition. I seriously seriously seriously have to watch how much money I spend, especially since my glamorous job in the dishroom might not be available. And I have sorority dues, pledge party, and spring party as DEFINITE expenses. And I want my next tattoo so bad. With all this financial burden, what do I do? I buy a pair of gratuitous shoes at Famous Footwear. I blame it on lipstick effect. In times of economic crisis (both nationally and in my bank account), the purchase of small cost luxury items rise. In this case, a $20 pair of two-tone black oxford booties. Not even off my fashion wish list, though always an intrigue. I knew. I knew, going into FF was a terrible idea. Oh, no, my mind coaxed me. This is just for fun. Lets just poke around for a few minutes. Its hot out go inside! I did. I braved past a pair of $30 sperry imitators. I was unimpressed by all I saw. Haha, I thought. I CAN outlast this temptation. Then, as I made a quick loop past the clearance rack, I saw them. My size. Patent leather toes. Black. Twenty dollars. Adorable. Oh, just try them on, my mind whispered, in a seductive tone I personally will never master. I did. They fit perfectly. I just happened to be wearing black tights. They looked charming. I bought them, with the full decision I would return them after some consideration. Its just that, they were the only pair, and if I did decide to buy them later, they probably wouldn't be here anymore! Hours later, after my minor auto collision, I sat on the couch, wearing them. I really like them, I told my mom. My mom, probably the progenitor of my inability to resist shoes, smiled encouragingly. I think I'm going to keep them. I looked for a picture of them online, this is as close as I could find. Where it appears to be grey/brown, mine are matte black. Beneath the lacings are a small cut out. In other words, lovely, fashionable, and completely unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment